Zero Waste Puppy Treats for Sensitive Tummies
It has been 4 months since my partner, Daniel, and I have had our puppy Bowie and has been an adventure finding plastic-free treats that also settled well with his sensitive tummy.
With a lot of trial and error with Bowie, we learned that the following doesn't sit well:
peanut butter ,almond butter, sweet potatoes, beef, and duck
I then remembered that we had made a simple chicken and rice meal that was recommended by our vet after Bowie had eaten something he shouldn't have (long story). I searched to see if there was a treat recipe online. The ones I found were complicated and I knew I couldn't find package-free ingredients.
So I decided to create one. After some testing, here's what I came up with.
Hope you and your puppy enjoy it at much as Bowie and me!
* Note: I'm not a doctor, nutritionist, or dietician. The information I share is based on my own experiences.
medium sized mixing bowl
stainless steel measuring teaspoon (optional)
1 cup of rice
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 baked chicken breast
1 tablespoon of olive oil (optional: for baking the chicken)
1 teaspoon of salt (optional: for cooking rice)
Prep in Advance: Rice + Chicken
*Note: storing the rice in the refrigerator helps rice from sticking
1. Preheat oven to 350 F / 180 C
2. Add the baked chicken and cooked rice to the blender
3. Blend till chicken and rice are blended evenly
4. Scoop out and use one cup of chicken + rice.
*Note: set aside to add to puppy meals or make more later.
6. In the mixing bowl, add egg, flour, and the 1 cup of chicken + rice mix.
7. Mix together till it's easy to roll into balls and doesn't stick to your fingers.
*Note: If it's too dry add water and if it's too sticky add flour
8. With the teaspoon (or spoon) scoop dough, and roll them into a ball, place on baking sheet, flatten with your palm, and flip over so it doesn't stick.
9. Bake for 25 minutes
10. Take out of the oven and let cool for around 10 minutes. You can also break one in half and touch the middle to test.
Enjoy treating a delighted and happy puppy!
Did you try this recipe?
Let me know how it went! Comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thezerowastehabit